The limestone of the Costa Blanca mountains has in places eroded into some amazing formations, including many natural rock arches. Many of these Forats can be visited quite easily on many of the walks around Abdet and Guadalest. You can view all the main Spanish rock arches here The rock arch of Els Arcs on the Sierra Aixorta is particularly notable as it in in fact a double arch. You can also see a collection of arches on the pinnacles of El Frares.
The arches all have one thing in common, they have been created by erosion due to soil, wind, sun and frost. You can see in many areas where in the distant future there wll be more arches as large scoops in the rock faces are being created from opposite sides. If you plan your visit to coincide with sunset or sunrise you can also get some great photos! The Sierra Serrella has many arches that are easily accessed on walks such as the Spanish Mountain Escape.
Youcan see some of the arches on the map below, zoom in and click on the icons for information and pictures.
- Els Arcs on Sierra Aixorta Els Arcs on Sierra Aixorta
- Penal D'Africa on Sierra Serrella Penal D'Africa on Sierra Serrella
- Forata - Sierra Aitana Forata - Sierra Aitana
- Small arch with more being created - Sierra Serella Small arch with more being created - Sierra Serella
- Large arch on Sierra Serrella Large arch on Sierra Serrella
- Penal D'Africa on Sierra Serrella - easily accessed from the other side Penal D'Africa on Sierra Serrella - easily accessed from the other side
- Arch formations on Serrella Arch formations on Serrella
- Arch above Guadalest Arch above Guadalest
- Forat de la Juvea Forat de la Juvea
- Forat de África Forat de África
- Arco de Santa Lucía Penaguila Arco de Santa Lucía Penaguila
- Forat Vall de la Gallinera Forat Vall de la Gallinera